Wednesday, 4 January 2017

Goals & Resolutions 2017


I never really do the whole resolution thing- I kind of just have things that I want to achieve throughout the year. Plus resolutions are never set in stone as people change and grow, and things that were once goals may become less important as time goes on. However, I have had a change of heart towards them, and actually feel that in order to get my life together and make my 2017 far better than my 2016, setting out goals and resolutions for the year ahead isn't such a bad idea! So... I had a think, and decided what initial, pressure-free goals and resolutions I'm going to set myself this year.
Without further ado.....

#1 | THROW MYSELF INTO EVERY OPPORTUNITY

This is more a resolution to change the way I think about things. Whether it's social opportunities, work-related opportunities, or new experiences, I have this tendency to get anxious about them - sometimes enough to stop me from doing them. Even when I take such opportunities insecurities can mean I hold myself back from getting fully involved. When this happens I get so frustrated at myself, because I know I'm just overthinking, and I'll just end up with regrets. I've definitely been getting better at this over the years, and last year especially I found myself doing things and putting myself out there a lot more, however, I still have a way to go and want to push myself to make the most of everything I do. 

#2 | APPRECIATE MY SURROUNDINGS

This one kind of links to #1, but is more about using my time wisely whilst I'm living in amazing places. For example. I've been living in London for about 6 months now, but I still don't feel like I really live here. I go around in my little bubble of what and where I know, going to and from the flat and work, but never truly exploring and appreciating London for the incredible, vibrant, and alive city it is. I made a list of places I want to go in and around London a couple of months ago, and I'm determined to make the most of my last few months living in London and actually get out and do these things!

#3 | MY BLOG

Oh my poor blog, you have been seriously neglected this past year. I went through spurts of doing a few posts in a matter of a few days, promising to get back into writing on here regularly like I had done in 2015, but would then abandon it again. A mixture of reasons are accountable for my absence; I often didn't feel motivated, I also wanted to re-vamp this space as I was beginning to dislike a lot of my content [something I am going to start to change this year], but also time just wasn't my friend this year, and I found myself busy with so many other things that my blog just wasn't a priority anymore. I am determined to begin this year afresh though, and will be doing my best to get back into this thing because I love creating posts!

#4 | RELATIONSHIPS

No this is not a soppy paragraph about looking for love -- honestly people! What this goal is about is not taking my relationships for granted. I am so truly luck to have the friends and family I have, but I often find myself unintentionally distancing myself from people. This is especially apparent with my friends. Spending time with my friends makes me the happiest of people- I'm a chatty, sociable person, and so I need that interaction with people otherwise I go insane! However, being away from home, and now away from uni, my friendships tend to get neglected, and I can go months without seeing my best friends from home I used to see everyday at school, and my best friends from uni that I used to live with 9 months of the year! I can also be super awful at keeping in contact with people, and eventually feel miserable for being so out of the loop with my friends. It's silly really, as nothing ever changes or feels any different when I then see my friends again, and as I said earlier, times I spend with my friends are some of the happiest times of my life. So, this year I am going to make the effort to stay in contact - I'm not going to take the friendships for granted and give back to the people who have always been there for me. 

#5 | STOP THE PROCRASTINATION

I have known for years that I am the Queen of procrastination - I can very easily amuse myself by doing the most pointless things [usually scrolling endlessly through social media]. However, after a conversation with my Dad the other day about using my time wisely, I had the epiphany of 'imagine all the things I could do if I used my usual procrastination time to actually do something productive?!' and so, Dad, you have inspired my next goal/resolution of 2017 - I will take your very wise advice and use that spare time to do rewarding things that make me a better and more accomplished person [don't get too big-headed about the fact I've actually listened to your wise words!]

#6 | GO TO THE THEATRE

A lighter and much simpler goal for 2017 is to go to the theatre much more. I love the theatre, yet I can count on my hand how many plays/musicals I have been to see at the theatre! I realise I go to a lot of concerts (something I am planning to continue doing throughout this year) but if I could break this up with a couple of London musicals or something, I would be very happy! 

#7 | BE HEALTHY

A very typical goal, but one I really need to adhere to! I do barely any exercise - and that's me being generous to myself, plus my relationship with chocolate has got so out of hand. My plan this January is to really try and cut junk food out of my diet - just for the month to start to lift my dependency on it. I managed to do this with chocolate and crisps a couple of years ago, and felt so much better for it, so fingers crossed I can keep it up this month! I will let you know if I cave in at any point- wish me luck, I'm going to need it!

#8 | BOOKS & FILMS

I absolutely love watching films and reading books, properly getting absorbed in a new story. When I was at school doing my English A-Level I used to read so many books, but since then I've hardly read any books. Don't get me wrong, I still read books - I'm always reading something, but I need to start making time so that I can read more. So I'm going to set myself the challenge of reading at least 1 book a month. And they don't count if they're ones I have read before - I like to re-read the Harry Potter books a lot...!
Film-wise I want to try and do something similar - I keep watching the same old films over and over again, but there are so many amazing films that I've never seen, so I want to give myself a movie education this year! A movie-cation. Yes, I may have just quoted Pitch Perfect in my blog post...!

Hope you enjoyed reading this post! I would love to hear other people's resolutions and goals for this coming year, so please put them in the comments below!

-- AshCam



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© AshCam. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig