Saturday, 21 January 2017

The Last 6 Months | Urban Outfitters Internship



For the past 6 months I have been working at Urban Outfitters head office as a design intern. Those of you who follow menon social media will already know this, but I absolutely loved every second of it! It has honsetly been the best experience ever, and I have learnt so much and worked with some of the amazing designers who inspired me every day with the enthusiasm and dedication to their work. Yesterday, I had to say goodbye to the people who have made the past 6 months so brilliant, and am soon onto my next adventure in the fashion industry. However, before I begin my next internship I wanted to check in here and tell you all about my experience and possibly even influence you all to go after what you dream.

To set the picture, I have dreamed of working as a designer at Urban Outfitters since before I began studying Fashion Design at Winchester School of Art. One big reason for choosing to go to my uni was due to the fact that a previous alumni had gone on to be head of design at Urban Outfitters a few years after graduating.
Originally when I started my course, it did not offer an option of doing a year in employment - however, after a lot of confusion during my second year, 5 of my class ended up doing a placement year. When I saw the design internship at Urban advertised I became very excited and immediately sent my application off. I was then asked for a phone interview, and after that was invited to an interview day in London. I was so happy and surprised to have been chosen for an interview, and whilst I thought my interview went well, I actually thought the other two candidates had done better on the day. After an agonizing wait, I then had an email confirming my internship and I cried with happiness! 

On beginning my internship on July 20th, I had no idea what to expect, and ended up having so much fun! During my time there I was able to get involved in so many different things; from researching trends, to creating packs and presentations for the designers and buyers, to designing items, reworking vintage items for Urban Renewal, doing shop reports, or taking street style pictures at Fashion Week, designing my own graphics, creating moodboards, attending meetings, attending fit sessions, and going to events like Brand Updates or the SS17 Press Day! I wasn't just a spare part there, and I definitely wasn't the office bitch - from day one they made me part of the team, and the office environment was just so friendly and welcoming. Sure there were bonuses like the free clothes on top of the employee discounts, but the bits I'll remember and take with me are the people I worked with, and everything they taught me. Plus I cannot wait to see each item I helped design go into store throughout 2017!
I am honestly so sad to have left, which I believe was very clear on my final day due to how much I cried [!], and owe many thank you's to the design team there. If you are a fashion student looking for a 6 month internship, do apply to Urban Outfitters, you'll have the best time ever!

-- AshCam


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© AshCam. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig