Friday, 10 March 2017

February's Book | We Need To Talk About Kevin


I have been meaning to read 'We Need To Talk About Kevin' for years. My Mum was the one who initially gave it to me, after reading it herself, and I immediately gave it a go, but found I couldn't get into it. About 5/6 years later I finally have picked it up again, and could not put it down! In fact I even took it to work with me to read during my lunch break, something I have never done before. Saying all this, it is not necessarily an enjoyable book, as the story is pretty harrowing and had me thinking about it for a long time. 

'We Need To Talk About Kevin' is a fictional book by Lionel Shriver, telling the story of a school massacre. Written in first person from the perspective of Eva Khatchadourian, the mother of the killer, Kevin, the book is told as a series of letters to Eva's presumed ex-husband Franklin. The letters begin November 1st 2000, nearly 2 years after the crime, and through these letters Eva retells her life before and after Kevin, with continual glimpses into the events of the crime & her present day situation. From early on in the book it is apparent that she was on trial for parental negligence, and in some way these letters to Franklin are her way of showing that whilst she was not the perfect parent, she was also not, in my opinion, responsible for parental negligence. As the story develops we also learn more about Kevin's odd character, and how difficult he was even as a small child. I also find it really interesting hearing about Franklin as a father, and through her retelling how the years unfolded in these letters we see how Franklin also has a lot to answer for as father to Kevin. 

This book is such an interesting and thought provoking read, and I love the complexity of each character in the story. A strong theme in the book is the argument of nature vs nurture, a topic that I continued to debate whilst reading this book. If any of you have read the book, I would love to hear your opinion on whether you felt the parents were responsible for how Kevin turned out.
If you have not read it, then I would really recommend it, it's by no means a happy book, but it is such an interesting story, and one that will stick with me for a long time. 


Thanks for reading

-- AshCam

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© AshCam. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig